Building Trust international have announced their 7th international design competition which seeks to find an innovative design proposal for a landmark pavilion structure made from bamboo.
The bamboo piece will be the centre of a Bamboo Festival Building Trust are hosting in Phnom Penh, Cambodia this March. The competition challenges architects, designers and engineers to provide a design solution which has the chance to shape the future of building with bamboo globally.
The aim of this design challenge is to:
- Encourage and reward design excellence at a small scale which integrates function, structure, details and the need for exciting bold temporary architecture.
- Research, respond to and highlight the unique aspects of designing with bamboo.
- Encourage the employment of sustainable design in all aspects of the proposal.
Submissions should consider the following factors:
- Tread lightly as the pavilion is temporary we can make minimal ground works, so no foundation that involves digging
- Versatility of the material
- Provide shade from rain and sun
- Can the structure be taken down and used again by a school or community group after the event?
- How design and construction of the proposal can stimulate local economy
- Safety during and after construction
Entries will be evaluated based on the main criteria made up of the following 8 points:
- Imaginative use of the material
- Ease of construction and ability to build by local skilled workers who are used to building with bamboo
- The design’s originality and aesthetics
- Sustainable approach
- Clarity and comprehensibility of the design
- Cost and affordability
- Functionality for the event
- Intelligent use of space
1st prize: BTI will build the winning design as the centre piece to the CAMBOO: 2017 bamboo festival
There will also be 9 honorable mentions.
16 January, 2017 | Competition announced
3 March, 2017 | Registration deadline
17 March, 2017 | Closing date for all submissions
20 March, 2017 | Announcement of winners
Early-bird Registration : £25 (16th Jan – 22nd Jan)
Advance Registration : £50 (23rd Jan – 5th Feb)
Final Registration: £75 (6th Feb – 3rd March)
Entrants may register by e-mailing Building Trust International at
Submissions can be the work of an individual or a group. There is no age limit.
Submission of entries must be in one PDF document in A2 landscape format
(594x420mm). All images contained should be 300dpi
All entry submissions should be sent to:
email@example.com by 17th March 2017 at midnight (11:59 pm-00:00 GMT).